Creamy Split Pea Soup
- -1 (16 oz.) bag dried split peas
- -1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- -1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- -1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- -3 cups diced ham
- -2 (14 1/2 oz.) cans chicken broth (3 1/2 cups)
- -1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- -1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- -1 bay leaf
- -1 (12 fl.oz.) can PET® Evaporated Milk
COMBINE dried peas, celery, carrot, onion and ham in slow cooker. Stir in chicken broth, garlic powder and ground thyme. Add bay leaf.
COVER and cook on Low 8 to 10 hours or on High 4 to 5 hours. Remove bay leaf. Stir in evaporated milk. Cook 5 minutes or until milk is heated through.
An additional can of chicken broth may be necessary when cooked on High.
For a thicker soup, puree 2 cups of cooked soup in blender. Stir back into remaining soup in slow cooker.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 530 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 80mg, Sodium 510mg, Total Carbohydrate 60g (Dietary Fiber 21g, Sugars 17g), Protein 45g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 110%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 25%, Iron 25%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.